Based on the Oscar-winning DreamWorks Animation film, Shrek The Musical is a Tony Award-winning fairy tale adventure, featuring all new songs from Jeanine Tesori (Thoroughly Modern Millie; Caroline, or Change) and a sidesplitting book by David Lindsay-Abaire. Shrek brings all the beloved characters you know from the film to life on stage and proves there’s more to the story than meets the ears.
“Once upon a time, there was a little ogre named Shrek….” And thus begins the tale of an unlikely hero who finds himself on a life-changing journey alongside a wisecracking Donkey and a feisty princess who resists her rescue. Throw in a short-tempered bad guy, a cookie with an attitude and over a dozen other fairy tale misfits, and you’ve got the kind of mess that calls for a real hero. Luckily, there’s one on hand… and his name is Shrek.
Irreverently fun for the whole family, Shrek proves that beauty is truly in the eye of the ogre.
The Pine City Heritage Players will host auditions for Shrek the Musical on Monday, May 21st and Tuesday, May 22nd from 6:00 – 9:00pm at the Pine City High School (1400 Main St S, Pine City) in the 7th grade commons. Callbacks will be held Wednesday, May 23rd from 6:00 – 900pm. Rehearsals will begin Tuesday, May 29. Those wishing to familiarize themselves with the show can listen to the cast recording on Youtube.
Auditions are open to all individuals 4th grade and up. Auditions will be held as an open call, first come, first serve. Headshots and resumes are preferred, but not required. Individuals should come ready to state their conflicts. We will not accept any conflicts during tech rehearsals or performances. Tech rehearsals will take place July 15-18, and performances will be July 19-22. Rehearsals begin May 29.
What to prepare:
- Print and fill out a copy of the Audition Form and bring with you on the night of your audition.
- Review the Character List for Shrek: The Musical to identify the character that you wish to audition for.
- Based on the role that you want to audition for, select the appropriate song from this Audition Song List and be prepared to sing one of the songs for that character. We have provided sheet music for these songs that can be accessed through this Google Folder.
- There will be a Dance Audition included as part of this production. Individuals not interested in dancing do not need to participate in the dance audition.
- Individuals interested in dancing should memorize and expect to perform the choreography for either “Freak Flag” or “What’s Up Duloc?” in the links below.
- Tap dancers – In addition to the dance audition choreography, please come ready with a tap combination of at least two 8 counts.